Healthy Morning Chocolate Shake


I've never been a good breakfast person. I know it's the most important meal of the day, but I'm just not a toast or cornflake kinda girl. Breakfast smoothies I do love however, they're easy, take less than 5 minutes to make, drink, and wash the dishes, and are delicious. And healthy. Enjoy! (The paper straws are the Spring Stripe Mix Pack!)


Ingredients:
1 quite ripe banana
1 cup almond milk (or your favourite milk)
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon tahini

Pop the milk & banana in your blender and whizz up for a few seconds. Next add the tahini and cacao, then blend until smooth! (If your banana is a good ripeness level it'll already be pretty soft, if it's still a bit hard I like to squash it a little before popping it in to make sure it blends properly. Also if it's underripe you may want to add a sweetener like honey or agave.)

Notes:
I love this drink because to me it's just as satisfying as a chocolate shake, however you don't get the crazy sugar buzz and crash.
The health benefits are great too - bananas are a great source of carbohydrate and protein, they're low GI and contain lots of great vitamins. They're fantastic for being filling and helping you feel full for longer.
Raw cacao can easily be substituted for regular cocoa powder, however raw cacao has more antioxidants than regular cocoa! I use Loving Earth brand.
The tahini I add because it gives a great silky smoothness to the shake, kinda how chocolate syrup does in a regular milkshake. It's an optional extra, but I think it works really well.

Enjoy! x Penny


3 comments:

Beky said...

I think I will need to try this shake, looks great. Where do you buy your coco?

Vickie said...

sounds delicious :)

Penny said...

It is delicious! Beky, I buy the cacao at my local health food store, however you can substitute regular baking cocoa if you want.