the wallpaper of the royal tenenbaums

The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my favourite movies - I watched it again a few days ago and was struck by how lovely their home is, in a dilapidated & broken-down way. It reminds me of the home in Nanny McPhee - bright & colourful, but with a sad story hanging over. Like an old doll-house.

I particularly love the furnishing & wallpaper of the house. This is just a simple damask, but it gives such an air of opulence - martinis plus an Indian man as a servant give it, for better or worse, a wealthy colonial India feel.

In case you haven't seen The Royal Tenenbaums I have just included some images from the first 5 minutes or so - but if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?

I particularly love this image - it's just so indulgent! Why be outside when you can be inside, with jungle wallpaper, surrounded by people making you pretty?

This beautiful zebra wallpaper is by Scalamandre - to me it's so sophisticated for a kids room, but I love the bold red, and I wish I could have this somewhere in my house!

You can see more photos of this wallpaper on Duchess Fare!

This isn't actually wallpaper, but hundreds of tiny little paintings. I love this! It's like having a storybook drawn all over your walls.

Go watch it!

3 comments:

yardage girl said...

Classic movie - I love it too. Thanks for pointing out the wallpaper!

Tali said...

LOVE this movie. The soundtrack is awesome too :)

lina said...

this is so true! great wallpaper all around that film!
& i think you explained their house perfectly as an old dollhouse. i completely agree!