Vegan Choc Chip Pumpkin Spice Muffins.

 


Usually I tune out Halloween & Thanksgiving while procrastinating on the Internet - neither of these get much of a look-in in Australia. However, I realised, just today, I've been missing out. Missing out on pumpkin based sweets, to be precise. Cheray told me she'd made Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Muffins which sounded AMAZING. So I did a little Googling and blog-reading and found this recipe on Averie Cooks. I did a little tinkering and adjusted to ingredients I have, and these are literally the most amazing muffins I've ever eaten. Go make some.


Vegan Choc Chip Pumpkin Spice Muffins (based on this recipe by Averie Cooks).

Ingredients.

1 & 1/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2  teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
pinch salt
1/2 cup caster sugar (or your fave sugar replacer)
1 cup pumpkin puree (see below)
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup milk (use soy, almond, cow or anything!)
1 tablespoon treacle
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 grams chocolate chips (I used chopped up 70% Lindt)

Directions.

Preheat oven to 190C.

Mix the flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, pumpkin, oil, milk, treacle and vanilla.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon. Add the chocolate chips.

Spoon the muffin batter into 12 muffin cups.

Bake at 190C for approx 20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!




Pumpkin puree.
I used 1/4 of a large pumpkin, and followed these instructions on Chef In You.
Remove the seeds and any of the stringy pulpy stuff around the seeds.
Chop the pumpkin into 3 or 4 large pieces.
Put into a baking dish and bake, covered, for approx 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is lovely and soft.
Remove the peel and blend in a food processor with a splash of water.
It's important to roast the pumpkin covered as the steam will help the pumpkin soften.

No comments: