teaching sewing

One of my friends, Sophie, is a teacher. Awhile ago she asked if I'd like to teach a small group of students (year 6 - year 8) how to sew. Sure, sure, fine. All good. Ages away. Heaps of time, heaps.

Now, it's tomorrow.

I am busily preparing.

I've made the students all little pins & needles kits.

Samples. My mum came over earlier and I showed her this embroidery sample and she laughed. So now I'm nervous the kids will laugh too and I will be the unpopular crazy sewing lady. Edit: my mum just called me and said I shouldn't tell everyone she laughed. She didn't laugh in a mean way, just in a way that suggested my sample could be a bit more impressive, which I guess was true!


My mum did give me this cute Beatrix Potter book so I felt better. It's like an adults kids book, it's all copies of letters Beatrix Potter wrote to people, and it has popups and foldouts... Will investigate after my first day as the crazy sewing lady. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Carley said...

But you are a very talented "crazy sewing lady"!! You will do a great job (needle kits are very cute)

Michelle said...

I must have been around 10 when I had my first and only sewing class. My friends and I were invited to a home in my neighborhood for a full day of hand sewing.

The lady running the class taught us how to make a handbag. And the rest is history :)

I'm sure it will be a great class!

Chrisy said...

Good luck honey...they'll love you...take along some of your own sewing to inspire them...

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

a crazy sewing lady is great- better than a mean one like I had who put me off sewing for 20 years!!! You will be great- the kits you made are really nice and the embroidery is nice to!

edward and lilly said...

How sweet! Be sure to post about how it all goes! I bet they will love it, I still remember my first embroidery lesson at school.

Leah said...

So happy to hear that it all went well! I love the journal!

Kipik said...

Hey! i got that book, loved it so much I bought 2 so I could give one away. It turns out that my bestest friend in france had never heard of beatrix. I'm sending it to her!